Tuesday 20 January 2009

Movies, Movies, Movies!!

So my main love is movies, there aren't enough hours in the day to get through some of the greats but I'm getting there!

Recently I watched Taxi Driver (I know pretty late aren't I)and Citizen Kane, which is said by some to be the greatest film of all time! So my expectations were high right? And what a big fall it was when i realised that it was probably the worst film i had ever seen, I know! blasphemy to all you film boffs, but seriously, I think that it was great for that era and a certain period of time in film that I'm not that big a fan of! The whole thing just went right over my head, not interesting at all! But since i've purchased it on dvd, i'll give it a couple of years and try sitting through it again! Taxi Driver, again hyped as one of DeNiro's best, and i would say it's definitely in his top 5, but no where near as good as 'Heat' or 'Goodfellas'! Although Scorsese is one of my favourite directors, so it was nice to see some of his work before 'Goodfellas'!

In the past year though I have seen a lot of films, to many to remember at this moment in time, so i will go with the most recent, and the ones that had the most impact!

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

'Long gone were the glory days of Brad Pitt's excellence', I had been thinking of late, some of my absolutes favourites are, Interview with a Vampire, Se7en, Legends of the Fall, and his last work of genius Fight Club! That was until I watched this film! yes it's a gobfull, but don't let the long-arse title put you off. This film was absolutely brilliant, and I'd definitely recommend not only Pitt fans to see it, but everyone who loves a genuinely good film. A drama/western, tale of betrayal and deceit, Jesse James, was described in history as a 'Robin Hood' type character, and although he committed numerous crimes, and murders, he is still thought in some ways as an anti-hero, especially in the way he is conveyed in the film, all our ill-will and dislike is turned on Casey Afflecks character, Robert Ford. So although I'd love for Pitt to go back to portraying these heartthrob characters, in sweeping epics like 'Legends of the Fall', I have come to accept that with his age, his choice in film roles has matured, and he is becoming more select in what he chooses, although the ratio of good and bad films is tipping in the wrong direction, THIS IS A MUST SEE!

Che: part 1

Oh lord have mercy! Benicio del Toro, Steven Soderbergh! I thought was a recipe for greatness, but watching this film proved other wise. Not to mention it took everything in my power to keep my eyes open (Staring widely every couple of minutes, and tapping your foot constantly does the job). del Toro was great in 'The Usual Suspects' and 'Sin City', but this film just didnt do it for me! It was long, uneventful, and just dull! Pushing two and a half hours, was license for Soderbergh to make something enthralling, something audiences would want to see again, but i know I'm definitely not watching part 2! This film is for those who are either super fans of Steven Soderbergh, or want a history lesson on what went down in Cuba, 50 odd years ago in the revolution! Sorry Soderbergh better luck next time!

Y.

No comments: